Diagonal Hardwood Flooring

12:28 PM

It's been a while since Matt and I have worked on some hardwood flooring.  We purchased 44 boxes of hardwood flooring when we purchased our home last July.  We put hardwood flooring in the living room, dining room, Matt's son's bedroom, and our bedroom.  After all that we still have 9 boxes left.  Originally we were planning to do the kitchen as well but decided to tile that room instead.  What to do with the left over?  Well, do another room.  We have a small bedroom thats off the living room right by the front door.  And since it's right off the living room we decided to change the direction of the wood so we don't have to worry about everything being straight.  Anyway, here's the progress so far.  (With some tips that I've figured out.)



I measured out from my starting corner 2 feet in each direction and snapped a chalk line.  Measure the line, subtract a 1/2 inch.  Take your first board and cut your first 45º cut so that the groove side is shorter.  Measure from the point on the tongue side and mark your opposing 45º cut.  This should line up with the chalk like with 1/4 inch gap on each side.  Blind nail into place with a nail gun.  Once you have worked away from the wall a little you can use a floor nailer, but the very edges will always need to be nail with a nail gun.


 I also had a heat vent to work around almost right away.  I measured and marked the wood with a square, then used a jig saw, and miter saw to make the cuts.




Work your way out into the room.  I found that if you make 3 separate beginning pieces with 45º angle cuts and work your way to the other end, but leave the last piece open, you can work with 3 rows at a time, you will be switching your miter angle less ofter and saving yourself time. 



Once I worked myself across to the first corner, I cut a beginning piece.  I figured it would be easier to start then try to figure the measurements for 2 separate 45º angles.  But it still was not as easy as 2 equal cuts.  I only had a small amount along the first wall to cover but more on the new wall that I was going to be working on.  I decided to make the longer cut first and then just guess on the next cut.  It took a few extra trips to the miter saw but I only used the one piece of wood and it turned out perfect.  Then just blind nail the board into place with the nail gun.  The floor nailer will not work even further from the wall now since the angle has changed.  






Here is an easy way to measure the last piece to fill into the space between the wall and the last whole board.  First mark with a pencil the direction of the 45º angle for reference.  I get confused a lot and this saves me from making the wrong cut.  Then flip the board around so that the tongue is touching the tongue on the last whole board.  Make sure the boards are parallel and the other end is butting up against the wall. 









Take a speed square and lay it on the board so that the 45º angle is going in the same direction as your reference mark and line it up with the corner of the whole board.  Then move it towards the wall 1/4 inch.  Mark the angle with a pencil and there is your cut line.  I have had a few cuts that I've had to cut just a little bit more but, it a lot better than cutting off too much.







I hope these tips that I have figured out so far are helpful.  If I discover any other tips while finishing the second half of the room I will be sure to share them.  And of course I will post some after pictures when I am all finished.  Hopefully in a week or two (just in time for x-mas).  Happy Monday!

~Nikki

You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. Great idea, will be very helpful for people who are always in search of new stuff when it comes to hardwood flooring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you're interested in high-quality, durable flooring that will add to the beauty of your home, hardwood floors might be the best choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have really done some terrific job on the floors. I am thinking of fixing my bedroom floor and I have a miter saw stand, table saw and some other necessary tools. Will this work or I will need anything else? Please keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hardwood flooring really is a good product. I think I should do it for your home. I really think that I will enjoy it. I also want my children to become like my woodworker. maybe I'll change my mind when I can do so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So this is how it is done, interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impressions hardwood flooring features high quality select grade oak flooring, Brazilian cherry flooring & teak flooring in engineered and solid platforms. The Impressions hardwood floor line is broken down into 5 collections that each emphasize select grade flooring at its finest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the hardwood you used for this! It gave a nice classy feel to the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you are searching for the best quality Wood Parquet Flooring in Dubai, then Flooring Dubai is the store to pay special attention to. We import the best quality real Parquet Flooring Dubai all the way from the United Kingdom. Parquet Flooring handmade Dubai are generally utilized as a part of spots which are intended to be satisfactory and sumptuous, some sisal carpet dubai incorporate wedding corridors, conference rooms, five star lodgings, or lavish estates and royal residences. For more details:http://parquetflooring.ae/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don’t think many of websites provide this type of information. hardwood flooring rochester mn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing such great information. It is informative, can you help me in finding out more detail on Hardwood flooring, i am interested and would like to know more about this field and wanted to understand the details about Hardwood flooring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing such great information. can you help me in finding out more detail on cheap flooring

    ReplyDelete
  14. Webroot.com/safe provides complete management of all applications on single page , which help user for accessing features at single destination. webroot safe On webroot safe page , user gets feature such as install, reinstall, get older version of webroot using key code.Webroot secureanywhere keeps working on loophole and implement with update hence to keeping Webroot secure anywhere updated is advisable, webroot.com/safe user

    Webroot.com/safe

    WWW.Webroot.com/safe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Movers in Abu Dhabi
    https://www.wemovers.ae/
    Professional Movers in Abu Dhabi #1 Moving companies in Abu Dhabi Offers Budget Moving Services Abu Dhabi Professional Movers Award Winner Offers Urgent Movers in Abu Dhabi.
    1632905276081-8

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love comments, they're the best!

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner